Welcome to the In re Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Telephone Consumer Protection Act Litigation website.
This website contains information regarding a proposed class action settlement that has been preliminarily approved by the Court in In re Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Telephone Consumer Protection Act Litigation, No. 11-MD-2295-JAH-BGS.
SETTLEMENT STATUS UPDATE
- On January 25, 2017 the Court entered a written order, approving the Settlement.
- Payments to class members will be made from the settlement fund on or before April 30, 2017, unless an objector files an appeal of the Court's order approving the settlement.
- If there is an appeal filed by any objector to the settlement, then the distribution of settlement checks to class members will be delayed until the appeal is resolved. This could take approximately two years.
- The settlement administrator received approximately 350,000 claims. Based on the information we have now (and assuming the Court grants all the fees and expenses sought), each claim should receive approximately twenty-eight dollars ($28).
- To verify the status of your claim, please click here. If you received a postcard, and you filed a claim -- by internet, telephone, or mail -- using the Claim ID code on the front of the postcard beginning with PRY-1, then your claim has been deemed valid. If you filed a claim but did not use the PRY-1 number on the postcard, you may or may not have a valid claim. If your claim has been deemed invalid, it is because the information you submitted when filing your claim did not match the information on the class list. Neither Class or Liaison Counsel can advise you as to whether your claim has been deemed valid or not.
- We will update this website when
- we know if there will be an appeal or not, and
- we know an approximate date for when checks will be mailed.
- This is the most up-to-date information regarding the settlement. Class counsel do not have any additional information. So please DO NOT call Ethan Preston of the Preston Law Offices or James Latturner of Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC, or Doug Campion of Law Offices of Douglas J. Campion APC for any additional information because they have no additional information to give you. When and if the Court enters the final order, we will provide notice of that fact on this website.
NATURE OF THE SETTLEMENT
The Plaintiffs sued Defendants in a class action lawsuit for allegedly calling Plaintiffs and other persons (the "Class Members") on their cellphones without their prior consent, in violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act ("TCPA"), using an automatic telephone dialing system ("Autodialer"), between December 23, 2006 and the date of the settlement (the "Class Period").
Defendants deny that they violated the TCPA.
THE SETTLEMENT CLASS
All natural persons residing in the United States who received one or more telephone calls from an autodialer or a predictive dialer operated by Defendants to such person's cellular telephone number between December 23, 2006 and July 1, 2013, inclusive, and who are listed in the csv data file titled pra_outbound_dial_list_20140304.zip produced to Plaintiffs' counsel.